Champions Fullen hold off Irish challenge

Fullen Gaels 1-12 vs Fulham Irish 1-10

Saturday, September 26 2015 – Pairc Na hEireann

Hot favourites and current champions Fullen Gaels were the opposition for Fulham Irish for the Provincial Junior Hurling Championship Quarter Finals at Paric Na hEireann on Saturday.

Previous Image
Next Image

info heading

info content

The start was delayed by 10 minutes because of a junior football blitz which was running late. This added to what was also going to be a tense game between these two sides, who have met each other in the last couple of seasons in the same competition.
Gaels are a formidable outfit, having made the All-Ireland Club Championship finals on two occasions in the last three years and it was expected their experience would be too much for the Irish to handle.
It was Gaels who opened up the scoring with a well worked point from the half back line, but with a free being handed to Irish and taken by Shane O’Donnell,  Irish were level.
After this point the Gaels puck out went awry, Irish gathered up the breaking ball and Mick Harte struck a wonderful point to put Irish ahead by one.
Both teams traded points and experienced some very dubious refereering decisions.
Around half way through the first half, Irish had the opportunity to record the first goal but put the sliotar wide. This was one of three chances within a 10-minute period, the others from Declan Hayes, who miss timed his connection and Mick Harte, who sent the sliotar tantalisingly wide, with Fulham dominating the play.
However Gaels opened up the Irish backline to score the first goal. The score line remained the same for the final four minutes as the referee blew for half time with Gaels leading by three points. Fullen Gaels 1-07 to 0-07.
The second half saw Gaels come out of the starting blocks well as they recorded the first point of the second half. Fulham pulled one back with Mike Broder running full tilt with the momentum taking the sliotar over the bar.
Irish pulled the score back to two points with a spirited run by Shane O’Donnell. Both teams continued to trade points when Gaels again breaking the back line of the Irish defence only for Donal Casey to pull off a fine save.
From this moment and with fresh legs being brought on to try to get a positive result, Irish upped their work rate and for the last quarter of the match out played Gaels as they contested and turned over ball.
They had the opportunity to claw back the two point difference to draw the sides level with two frees but these were sent wide. The whistle went and Irish had lost by two points.
Disappointed by the result, the team can certainly hold their heads up high for the effort and workrate they put in. It certainly was not a one-sided affair which many had predicted and credit to both teams for a well fought and hard game of hurling.
Collectively the team played well especially in the last quarter, but a mention must go to Donal Casey, captain Pat O’Mahoney, Darragh McCarthy, Lee Darcy, Mike Broder, Declan Hayes, Mick Harte, Luke Slyman and Shane O’Donnell.

Fulham Irish: Donal Casey, Colm Kennedy, Frankie Ryan, James McSwiney, Tom Gillen, Pat O’Mahoney (C), Tom Kennedy, Lee Darcy, Darragh McCarthy, Colm Foley, Mick Harte, Mick Broder, Shane O’Donnell, Declan Hayes, Luke Slyman, David Madden, Don O’Connell, Jim Nelligan, John McHugh, Derry Fitzgerald, Shane Moynihan and James Hickey.

Referee: Liam George