Fulham outplay Kilburn in must-win game

Fulham Irish 2-16 vs Kilburn Gaels B 1-08
Sunday, July 5 2015

Round 4 of the Division 2 Hurling League saw Fulham Irish take on Kilburn Gaels B at their home ground in Wormwood Scrubs.
It was a must win game for Fulham if they were to stand any chance of being in the mix to qualifying for the league final.
Fulham were playing into a slight breeze, yet it was Kilburn who started the better with two quick scores in the first five minutes with direct and aggressive hurling.
Fulham finally got their first score on the board on the eleventh minute when Eoin McCarthy put the ball over the bar.
Kilburn responded with another point as Fulham could not get a hold on the game and managed to puck three consecutive wides as they tried to add to their one point score line.
Nothing was going to plan for Fulham until Luke Slyman scored a wonderful point outside the 21 metre line to spark Fulham into action.
Kilburn pucked the sliotar out for a quick restart, but Fulham had anticipated turning the ball over, eventually passing to Colm Kennedy (captain on the day) to notch up his first score.
Momentum was on Fulham’s side when midfielder Mick Broder spotted Mark Bevans free in the forwards to pass a perfect ball into him.
Bevans dually caught it, turned his defender and shot, but the Kilburn net minder saved well; Bevans didn’t need to be asked twice though as he dispatched the rebound into the net.
There were a further three chances for Fulham to put the sliotar in the back of the net; two went into the side netting but the third found the net with Mick Harte’s well placed shot which hit the ground before deceiving the goal keeper and going in.
Fulham pulled away with further scores from Mick Harte and another from Colm Kennedy.
However, late into the first half, Kilburn managed to score a goal, and as half-time arrived Fulham were ahead 2-6 to 1-4.
The second half started like the first, with Kilburn being the more aggressive side, knowing they had to claw back the deficit on the score board. Fulham contained their onslaught though with the backs working as a unit to snuff out any chances.
Kilburn only managed a further four scores whilst Fulham continued to take their points.
There was another goal chance for Fulham but the sliotar was put wide.
Mick Harte continued to dominate at centre forward as the Kilburn backs struggled with Fulham’s pace and direct running, and Luke Slyman and Mark Bevans picked off 2 further points.
Kilburn battled to the end, but Fulham had outplayed them in the second half leaving a final score of 2-16 to 1-08.
Eight of Fulham’s players registered a score, and again there was a strong contribution from James McSwiney. Tom Kennedy bossed the back line and James McHugh also had a great game for Fulham.
Luke Slyman and Mick Harte outpaced their markers throughout, with Harte’s contribution to the final score of 1-05.

Fulham Irish: James Hickey, John McHugh, Collie Smyth, James McSwiney, Richie Hannon, Tom Kennedy, Dermot Fitzgerald, Darragh McCarthy, Mike Broder, Colm Kennedy, Mick Harte, Eoin McCarthy, Luke Slyman, Mark Bevans, Colm Foley.
Subs: Stephen Lee, Barry Moroney, Matt Silke.

Ref: Eddie Naughton