McCurtains hold Fulham in enthralling draw

Fulham Irish 2-09 vs Thomas McCurtains 2-09
Saturday, June 27 2015

For the second consecutive week, the hurlers and the rain were at London GAA HQ.
Having watched an epic battle which saw Fulham Irish Ladies win the senior championship (and a massive congratulations to the all the ladies and management team on this), it was time for the hurlers take centre stage.
For the first time this season the opposition was Thomas McCurtains. It was imperative Fulham got their league campaign back on track having recorded one win and one loss in the previous two rounds of the campaign.
Within the first 5 minutes, Fulham’s Darragh Ryan made an impactful run to put the sliotar in the back of the net.
Unfortunately, having got off to a great start, the team lost its way as TMC started to claw back the deficit and take control of the game. That’s not to say Fulham did not have their chances in the first half, with a 7 wide tally for Fulham compared to TMC 1 wide proving this. Midway through the half, Fulham lost their captain, Pat O’Mahoney, through injury.
The half-time whistle went with Fulham down by 4 points. The management rallied the troops at half-time, knowing full well the side needed to up their work rate and make sure their finishing was clinical.
The team responded with 4 back-to-back points to draw level with TMC. The momentum was now on Fulham’s side.
TMC upped their game and managed to get a goal to be within 1 point of Fulham. This could of have been more but for Steve Lee, stand-in goalie on the day, who guided the sliotar away from the goal on two more occasions.
With the bit between their teeth, Fulham responded within a couple of minutes as Kevin Davy struck the back of the net.
Fulham were now 4 points ahead and should have been more with a tally of 5 wides. However, TMC sized on the opportunity with a goal and a point to draw level.
With the game in injury time, there was a last chance for Fulham to get a point, but the angle of the opportunity proved too difficult and the game ended in a draw.
TMC had a total of 5 wides for the entire game compared to Fulham’s 13.
It was the finishing and the fact that the team was unable to close the game out which scuppered Fulham’s chances to get 2 points and go second in the table.
That said, the workrate, off the ball support and performance from the team in the second half was impressive.
Once again a solid performance from Frankie Ryan, James McSwiney, Tom Kennedy and Kevin Davy with a notable contribution from sub John McHugh in the back line.

Fulham Irish: Steve Lee, Matt Silke, Frank Ryan, James McSwiney, Richie Hannon, Pat O’Mahoney, Tom Kennedy, Lee Darcy, Diarmuid Hayes, Brian Keane, Darragh Ryan, Mike Broder, Mick Harte, Kevin Davy, Colm Kennedy, Kevin McHugh, Barry Moroney, John McHugh, Derry Fitzgerald.

Ref: Eddie Naughton