Irish disappointed as Sean Tracey’s win all-important game

London Senior Hurling Championship Round 3
Fulham Irish 1-7 vs Sean Tracey’s 1-13

Round Three of the London Senior Hurling Championship took place on Sunday, September 11 at Sean Tracey’s home ground in Mitcham, with local rivals Fulham Irish and Sean Tracey’s clashing ash for the third time this season.

A win for one of these teams would put them back on track to be in contention for a semi-final place in this year’s championship. A loss meant one of these team’s would be in the danger zone of a relegation playoff so all was to play for.

The game started off with high impact and intensity with both teams challenging from loose play.

It was Sean Tracey’s who took the first score from play in the second minute, but Irish responded when there was a free given just off centre from the Tracey’s posts about 40 metres out with Fulham’s captain Shane O’Donnell converting a point.

Tracey’s responded well with three scores on the bounce from their forward Kevin O’Loughlin, who proved to be their main player and scorer throughout this game.

With three points down a pass from Irish’s Steve Martin, playing wing back, dropped into Fulham’s Jim Nelligan who turned and went directly towards the goal only to be brought down by the backs of Tracey’s.

The penalty awarded, O’Donnell stepped up to score an all important goal. Tracey’s pushed on and Loughlin drove a lovely sideline cut to put over the bar to keep his team ahead.

The game started to break down as the referee was blowing for frees on both sides which were soft with Fulham taking advantage of these frees by taking the opportunity to score from O’Donnell. Half time and Irish were down by one point 1-5 to 0-9.

The second half started with Tracey’s going the direct route and inside the first minute of the second half, there were on course for a goal only for goalie and manager Mick Ruby, to make a great save to deny the score.

The ricochet of the save landed into the path of an awaiting Sean Tracey’s player who took a shot destined for the goal mouth again only for Diarmuid Hayes to block allowing Irish to clear their lines.

With both teams determined to up the pace the game and putting pressure on the ball there was an increase in breaks to play with frees being award to both sides, but it was Sean Tracey’s who started to pull ahead.

On 48 minutes a soft free given to Tracey’s on Fulham’s 21 metre line allowed them the chance to shoot for goal and this is exactly what they did.

With Sean Tracey’s ahead by five points and time not on the side of Irish, Fulham had to respond to claw the gap back.

They did have two chances on goal, but Tracey’s held their nerve. Time ticking down and with injuries to Fulham’s captain, Shane O’Donnell and a head injury to Sean Tracey’s centre back adding to the minutes still to be played, there was still time for Irish to score, but unfortunately Tracey’s dealt with any threat Irish tried to conjure up and eventually the final whistle went.

Tracey’s had won the all-important game with Irish left disappointed with the result.

Fulham Irish: Mick Ruby, James McSwiney, Fergus O’Regan, Diarmuid Hayes. Stephen Martin, Frank Ryan, Eamon Sullivan, Michael Broder, Shane O’Donnell (C), Eoin McCarthy, Jim Nelligan, Michael Harte, Declan Hayes, Niall Madden, Luke Slyman, Kevin Davy, Keith Greene, John Condon, John McHugh, Derry Fitzgerald and Mark O’Grady.